Is writing holding you back when you’re trying to get ahead? Do you struggle with structure every time you write? Does writing sometimes make you want to quit? I guide writers through the development of their work — from academic writing to fiction, from application essays and test essays to plays. I have a subspecialty in working with individuals with disabilities, including executive functioning disorders (such as ADHD), learning disabilities, and anxiety disorders; my unique process-based coaching system supports all writers of all ages and skill levels, from high school students to doctoral candidates, by focusing on the individual’s specific writing process. I conduct in-person coaching sessions in the Central New York area; for those farther-flung, I am happy to arrange virtual sessions.
In addition, I am a teacher of writing, working in Syracuse, New York City, and virtually. I work with middle school students, teenagers, college students, and adults.
Writing Coach Experience
- GemmaCooperNovack.com, Boston, MA and Syracuse, NY (2011–present)
- Harvard Graduate School of Education, Disabilities Services, Cambridge, MA (2009–2014)
- Boston Teacher Residency, Boston, MA (2013–2014)
Writing Teaching Experience
- Guest Writing Instructor, Robert Louis Stevenson School, New York, NY (2023)
- Writing Instructor, Downtown Writer’s Center at the YMCA/Young Authors Academy/Speaking Out, Syracuse, NY (2017-present)
- Program Coordinator, Narratio Fellowship, Syracuse, NY (2019-2022)
- Writing Instructor, Brookline Adult and Community Education, Brookline, MA (2014–2016)
- Writing Rights Instructor, Dudley Promise Corps, Boston Plan for Excellence, Boston, MA (2013–2014)
- Adult Education Instructor, Truman College/Association House of Chicago, Chicago, IL (2007–2008)
Theater/Arts Teaching Experience
- Teaching Artist, North Side Learning Center, Syracuse, NY (2018–2019)
- Teaching Artist, Gardner Pilot Academy, Allston, MA (2011–2015)
- Guest Teaching Artist, The Theater Offensive, Boston, MA (2013)
- Teaching Artist, Chelsea Community Schools, Chelsea, MA (2012–2013)
- Founding Program Director, Theater and Performance Club, Ghana Literacy Project, Pokuase, Ghana (2008–2009)
- Guest Theater Instructor, Saint Ann’s School, Brooklyn, NY (2008)
- Purim Play Director, Anshe Emet Synagogue, Chicago, IL (2005–2008)
- Teaching Artist, Playmakers Laboratory Theater, Chicago, IL (2004–2007)
- Playmaking & Performance Instructor, After School Matters at Michele Clark High School, Chicago, IL (2004–2006)
- Jeff Metcalf Fellow, Arts Initiatives, United Neighborhood Houses of New York, New York, NY (2003)
Gemma connects with her students in rich and meaningful way. She never sees a room full of students, but rather a room full of humans ready to explore and experience the world together.
Gemma you can be Cat Womon.
student, age 9
Gemma was incredibly patient and attentive. She helped me discover and develop my own personal writing process. She was a godsend for someone with LDs like mine.
Gemma, I like you because you taught me more lessons to write.
student, age 8
Gemma helped me break down my work, keep things manageable, and graduate from grad school. She is not only a fabulous organizational coach, but also a fabulous person, who I would recommend without hesitation.
Get in Touch
Contact me to collaborate on writing, editing, education, and theater!